A couple of years ago I read the book The Read Aloud Family by Sarah Mackenzie and thoroughly enjoyed it! My mom used to read to my sister and I as kids and we enjoyed story time at the library to hear new books read to us.
My daughter is in first grade now and last year she learned how to read. She still enjoys having me read her favorite picture books but I thought that if we could start reading a chapter book together, with some pictures in it, it could help her understand that reading isn't just to read the words but to actually listen to the story and understand what is going on and eventually how it relates to you and your life.
Last month, we read Matilda by Roald Dahl. We had watched the movie a couple of times but it took us about a month to read the book, reading a chapter a night or so. To celebrate finishing the book, we watched the movie and it was so fun to watch her pick out parts that were different in the movie and the book or know what was coming up next.
I would read a chapter and then ask her what it was about. Sometimes she needed guidance or help, but most of the time she was happy to share what the chapter was about. We started Charlotte's Web by E.B. White last week and she is slowly starting to remember the characters names and storyline.
I have enjoyed this new routine of ours and look forward to it as it is way to share my love of reading with her as well as re read some of my favorite classic chapter books. I am hoping it will encourage my daughter to try out more books without pictures because she can read them and that she will be able to create pictures in her mind while she's reading it like I do with the fiction I read.



No comments:
Post a Comment